Welcome to BonBon's Toy Closet!

BonBon's Toy Closet in real life contains toys, games, and books for my grandchildren. But several other closets have been taken over for my dolls, doll clothes, doll furniture, doll houses, doll accessories, doll sewing materials, doll trunks, and various doll supplies!

After about 15 years of playing dolls, I decided to share some of the results on this blog. I hope you enjoy looking around. You will find Cissy dolls, vintage hard plastic dolls, Tonner Ann Estelle and Sophie dolls, doll houses, and a variety of other topics.

If you want to be notified when I make a new entry, just enter your email address in the box just below the title and hit the submit button.


Monday, March 26, 2012

Blue Bird Ann Estelle

Here is another 10" Robert Tonner doll, "Bluebird" Ann Estelle, with black hair and blue eyes, wearing her glasses and pretty hair bow. (Actually, I am not sure her official name is Bluebird, but that is what I call her.) She was issued in 2000.

In this photo you can see the tiny wooden birdhouse she carries for her bird.  The blue dress with red trim is a Mary Engelbreit design.  Maybe she takes the birdhouse to school for "show and tell" day.

She has navy denim high-top lace-up shoes with red-and-white striped socks.  I don't remember if the shoes and socks came with this dress -- but if not, they should have!  So cute!  You can see in this photo that this Ann Estelle has bendy knees, enabling her to sit in a chair.

Here is the display of Bluebird's trunk set.  The trunk is pink metal outside and gold/white patterned paper inside.  It is in very good condition for a vintage trunk, and it has a label, Vogue Trunk.  Vogue was a major manufacturer of dolls, perhaps most famous for the Ginny doll, which came in at least two sizes, 8" and 12", so this may have originally been a trunk set for a Ginny doll.

Isn't this straw hat cute with those tiny felt flowers?  I don't remember which outfit it came with.  It may not even have been made for Ann Estelle doll.  But it fits Ann Estelle perfectly and it looks great with this outfit. 

The romper outfit came with a porcelain doll in a trunk I wanted. (I kept the trunk, gave the doll away, reclaimed this outfit.) It probably would have been faster to make this outfit from scratch, but I liked the green corduroy and the tiny floral print fabric.  I made it fit Ann Estelle and removed the velcro fasteners and sewed on snaps.   I imagine she likes this outfit when she goes "birding" out in the country.


This pretty dress was made by a talented eBay seamstress; unfortunately I don't remember her name. I liked the use of the pink striped fabric for bodice, hem, and cuffs, and the tiny buttons are shaped like flowers. The dress came with a matching scrunchie for her hair.  All you can see in this photo is the bow on top of the scrunchie.

I made this lace-trimmed petticoat.  Many of the dresses look better with petticoats, so I made petticoats for each doll, as needed for their dresses.


BonBon designed and made this red plaid dress with a yoke and long sleeves.  It is trimmed with white collar and cuffs and a red bow. I also made white tights, a white petticoat, a hair bow, and a bead bracelet to go with this dress. Ann Estelle wears this at Christmas, but it can also be used as a schooldress.


I designed and made this nightgown, bedjacket, and slippers. The nightgown is lined and features pintucks near the hem. The fabric is a soft vintage dotted swiss cotton that I had kept for many years.  I used ribbon roses to trim the ribbon straps on the gown and the tiny slippers. 

Note:  We think of pintucks as decorative, but pintucks near the hem originally had a quite practical use.  Years ago, when clothing was expensive in both material and labor, pintucks were used so that the hem of a dress could be let down as the girl grew in height.

The bed in the photo is a black "wrought iron" doll bed.  I made the coverlet and pillows for it.


Little Red Riding Hood on her way to grandma's house!  She even has a basket of (pretend) food!  This cute outfit came in a "Princess for a Day" trunk that had a variety of costumes.  As usual, I gave away the ugly porcelain doll, used the trunk for a Sophie doll, and remade the costumes for my Ann Estelle/Sophie dolls. I liked the creative use of fabric and trim on this long dress, and the red cape is nicely made with a red lining and blue rickrack trim.

###


No comments:

Post a Comment